Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Saturday Night Magazine: Celebrity Spotlight: Bryce Dallas Howard


She may have a last name that rivals most Hollywood heavyweights, but don’t think Bryce Dallas Howard rose to fame riding on her father’s coattails. Before starring in big name blockbusters like Terminator Salvation and Spider-Man 3, Ron Howard’s daughter paid her dues.


Thanks to a reputable background in theater, where she caught the eye of director M. Night Shyamalan who cast her in two of his biggest films, The Village and Lady In The Water, Howard’s career has blossomed on the big screen. This month, she emerges as a 1920s debutante in Tennessee Williams’ The Loss Of A Teardrop Diamond and next year will soon be seen as Victoria in the The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (replacing Rachelle Lefevre). While there may still be some skeptics (nothing can stop an angry Twilight blogger after all), Howard continues to make a name for herself all on her own.

SNMag: So you have a film coming out this month, The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond?


Bryce Dallas Howard: Yes, it comes out in select cities on December 30.

SNMag: Could you tell us more about the project and how you came to get involved with it?

BDH: It was such an amazing thing. I had enormous excitement when Jodie (Markell, the film's director) invited me to do the film. It was brave on her part because typically women who are pregnant don’t get movies. (laughs) But, Jodie, she’s a mother and she was incredibly inspiring and said, “You know I really think that you can do it and I will be really supportive of you and let’s play together.” That got me involved. Jodie reached out, and I’m really grateful.

SNMag: We heard that you were her first choice for the role of Fisher Willow. What are your thoughts on that?

BDH: The fact that she would feel that way is astonishing and humbling, and it was amazing to work with somebody who is also an actress because she knew this character so well. She knew this character not only from the perspective of a filmmaker but from the perspective of an actress. I could really rely on her in ways that I haven’t in previous projects. It was really great. It feels like this role was a genuine collaboration.

SNMag: When you initially applied to drama school you chose to drop your last name. Is that something that you’ve had to worry about, getting special treatment because of your father’s career?


BDH: That’s definitely something I think about a lot because I’m all about fairness. I have a huge thing about justice in life. I want to achieve things by my own merit. I’m really grateful to have a family that has an immense amount of wisdom, but I didn’t feel comfortable just going out there professionally with the Howard name. To be honest, I don’t think it would have made a difference. At the end of the day people just need an actor that does a good job. For my own well-being, I needed to remove my name at first so that I would never question that. My sister is an actress and she’s the same way. We’re just super sensitive to that. It goes back to justice and wanting to be fair. The idea that there’s another actress out there that’s better and not being hired because I know someone who is friends with my dad, I could never stomach that.

SNMag: What has it been like joining the cast of Twilight?

BDH: It’s a really extraordinary series and obviously the franchise really reflects what Stephenie Meyer has created with a lot of integrity. She’s so involved with the movies and it is really wonderful. It’s really an incredible storytelling moment. And people are really connecting with and responding to that. So I read the books and I just did my best for the character Victoria. I just wanted to do my best not to interfere with the books.

Read the rest of the interview here

0 comments: